My Blog

Things to Know Before Building a Granny Flats

If you are planning to build a granny flat, there are some things you need to know before you begin. Firstly, you must ensure that your insurance company is okay with adding the new structure. If you consider increasing your property’s liability, your premiums may go up. So, before you start building, it is a good idea to seek professional advice from an insurance specialist.

AdelaideHomeImprovements granny flatsPreliminary planning checklist for granny flats

Several factors need to be addressed in the preliminary planning stage of a granny flat. For instance, it is crucial to know the property’s size and maximum square feet. Then, determine the location and the utilities needed for the structure. Also, the site must be zoned according to the building regulations in the locality. In some areas, it is not permitted to have an ADU on your property, so it is essential to consider this.

In addition to ensuring that the bathroom location is right, you should also measure the floor space of the granny flat. It should be positioned back against the kitchen and the bathroom. The placement of the bathroom must be in such a way that it does not block the kitchen space. If possible, install villaboard lining inside the structure. It also reduces internal floor space, reducing secondary dwelling plumbing mistakes.

The floor space of the AdelaideHomeImprovements granny flats must not exceed 60 square metres. A courtyard space of at least 24 square metres is also required. Three metres are required from the main house, 0.9 metres from the boundary walls and 3 metres from trees. Depending on the location of your granny flat, you may be able to attach it to your main home. If you decide to attach the granny flat to your main house, you need to take note of all these rules and regulations to ensure the project is a success.

Costs of building a granny flats

With the housing shortage, more homeowners are considering building a backyard granny flat. Not only can it provide additional space to their homes, but it can also generate additional income for the homeowner. However, granny flats can be expensive to build despite their potential benefits. For this reason, startups have been jumping into the market to help homeowners finance their small backyard units. In addition, these startups recognise the potential to cash in on the in-law unit craze.

Before you start building a granny flat, it is essential to assess the size of your property. Whether you want to build a detached structure or a simple CDC (Complying Development Application), a CDC will help you determine which option is suitable for your property. For a CDC, you will need the services of a registered Private Building Certifier. Alternatively, you can submit a Development Application to the council for approval. Depending on the size of your lot, a garage conversion may be an appropriate solution.

While building AdelaideHomeImprovements granny flats can bring a great return, you will still have to pay the requisite utilities and maintenance. Make sure you can afford these additional expenses. Also, remember that most homeowners’ insurance policies will not cover an ADU, so you’ll have to check with your insurer. You’ll also have to change your insurance provider if you opt to build an ADU, so be sure to choose a plan that suits your needs.

Getting a building certifier involved

Getting a building certifier involved before you begin is crucial if you’re planning on building a granny flat on your property. A building certifier has expertise in various aspects of construction and can provide you with the guidance and assistance you need to build a legally compliant granny flat. Depending on your situation, you may also need to get professional help. A building certifier can be your local council or an accredited private service.

While you may not need to apply for a development application, a building certifier can confirm that a granny flat will meet all building requirements and is safe to occupy. Once the building has been approved, the certifier will issue an Occupation Certificate stating that the building is suitable for occupation. If you’re unsure if you need to get a certifier’s approval, you can always try the DA process first.